Last weekend we visited family in New York City and, although it was a touch cold, we had a lot of fun wandering the city, taking photos and enjoying some delicious food. Here are some of our adventures (and some photographs to go with them) and suggestions for you to take the next time you need something to do in New York:
– Saturday we brunched at the Jackson Hole Diner in Queens. Food was delicious and plentiful. Go hungry!
– That afternoon we walked the High Line in Chelsea, it snowed a bit on us but was beautiful and very worth it. The High Line is a park that was / is being developed from elevated railroad tracks in New York City. There are a lot of different plants and some gorgeous views of the city. It was fairly crowded on a cold day in March, so I’m sure it will be more crowded in Summer – but I’d still love to go back and see it a little more green.
– Lunch for Matt and myself was Sarita’s Macaroni & Cheese (S’Mac for short) and it was so incredibly awesome. I’ve been wanting to eat there for years and finally decided to push for it this trip! I had the two cheese and Matt had the Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese and we were both incredibly happy with our choices. I highly recommend a stop at S’Mac next time you are in NY. They have four different sizes to choose from, which makes it great for snacks, sharing or a full meal.
– Dessert was cupcakes from the delicious and amazing Sugar Sweet Sunshine. I personally love love love their Lemon cupcakes, just the right amount of lemon! (too busy enjoying the cupcakes to photograph!)
– Sunday we went to Times Square with the intention of getting show tickets through TKTS, but the bitter cold changed our minds. Instead we stopped into the Times Square warming center and saw THE BALL.
Then hopped the subway to Central Park to pay a visit to Strawberry Fields – the tribute to John Lennon. We stopped at Shake Shack for some delicious food before heading back to Queens and out of the cold.
More photos will be appearing on the blog over the next couple weeks, but I hope you have enjoyed this set of adventure suggestions and photos from our trip to New York City!